Thursday 14 May 2009

Lappies do Agility

When we first met Mylo's breeder back in 2006 I said that I would much prefer to do agility or training with him than show him. Ironically I did end up taking him into the ring a few times, though he hated every minute of it, however the thought of doing agility training still appealed.

The opportunity arose (thank you Milly) to take him and Kiva to a beginners agility class in a nearby village. I was convinced that Kiva would love it as, last year at an agility display, she seemed to be fascinated by it. Off we went on Tuesday for our first taste of, our neighbour Jean accompanied me so that I would have someone to look after one of the dogs whilst I went round the course with the other.

Bizarrely it was Mylo who enjoyed the experience more - Kiva was reluctant to jump the hurdlers (far easier for her to go under them) and hated the dog run, as did her brother Kanto who was also there
. Perhaps Kiva's future lies in the show ring or being a mum.

Mylo took to agility like a duck to water - the dog run was completed (though Milly did comment that it seemed to bow in the middle when he was on it) - the hurdles were cleared and the tunnel eventually mastered. The one hiccup was Mylo's wish to try the A frame and seesaw, not a problem for him but we were told off by the instructor as "those are for more experienced dogs" - oh well, perhaps he can do those next week.

If Mylo continues to lose the weight at the rate that he is and also continues with agility I am sure that he will soon be down to the correct weight - as I always say "if you want to lose weight - eat less and exercise more".

Hopefully I will get some pictures at next weeks session.

1 comment:

Mari said...

Checking on my little precious furball from the other side of the world... Kuje seems very happy there, it has really made my day to see a photo of him as I miss him terribly!
I was sure Kuje would attach himself to Kiva as he seemed to like her during our walks in the past. Oh, and he loves to sit under the desk whilst we work on the computer! Despite his nervousness Kuje needs the human companion so will certainly get attached to you Simon very quickly.
Lots of cuddles to my little darling and tickles to Kiva and Mylo, Mari x